Tuesday, March 24, 2009

FAITH

I was thinking the other day about the cliche phrase of having "tough skin". I've been told many times that I possess this quality to push through things that aren't so easy for me. Well I was wondering how much of that is having "tough skin" and how much of it is having faith. Faith in God. Faith in myself as a child of God. Without a doubt I know that God lives and that he has his eye on me and he knows what trials I am going through. Are knowing him and knowing his power the same thing as having faith in him? My faith in myself is shaky, at best. I know I am a strong individual and that I can endure many trials, but at what cost to my happiness and general perception of myself? Is having faith in yourself the same thing as having faith in God, knowing that I am one of his children? I suppose my question is: with whom do I begin for working toward greater faith, myself or my Father in Heaven? Then, as I am in deep thought about this very question, I set my internet browser to LDS.org to find the First Presidency Message for this month, "Come Unto Him in Prayer and Faith" by President Thomas S. Monson.

“Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

There it is. I start on my knees, praying to my Heavenly Father. I am grateful for the power of prayer, that in an instant it can take me from despair to hope. Faith in myself will inevitably come if I just put my faith in the Lord first.

5 comments:

RayRay said...

You have no idea how much I needed that thought today. Thank you for your example... As I struggle through things I've wondered the same thing, and actually found myself wanting that "thick skin" you talk about. I need more faith. love you.

Egan Metcalf said...

just what i needed to be reminded of today. Thanks, Erica

Trent and Kim said...

You have a way of asking the exact questions that I am thinking. I am glad you are so awesome. I love you. Thanks for your example. I miss you.

Lindsy Hartsock said...

That has alwasy been my favorite scripture. Awesome post Erica. Thanks for uplifting me today!

Shannon & Justin Hutchins said...

Justin and I love to read about your adventures in germany but this post was beautiful. Faith is a tricky thing, but you have so eloquently described it. I think we all need to be reminded now and again where faith starts. Way to inspire and uplift.