Monday, April 27, 2009

Washed my car today. . .

. . . and it was, indeed, an interesting experience. It seemed simple enough, just like any other automatic car wash at any other gas station. I paid for it inside along with my gas. 8.50 for a basic car wash! Ok, I can swallow that seeing as how this is the first, and last time doing it since being here in Germany. The man inside gave me a card and I drove my car around to the back of the Aral where the entrance of the car wash was. Upon driving up I realized that the box was not within reach of my rolled down window; I would have to get out of my car to put the card in. So, I put my car in neutral, got out and put the card in the desired slot. Error, something in German that I didn't understand, and Karte Ausgabe. Ok, I guess i'll try again. For a second time, error and my card was spit back out. I looked around, both wishing there was someone there to help and hoping I was alone so nobody else would know how clueless, and American I am. Phew, nobody around, I'd have to figure this one out on my own. Maybe I have to drive my car in first, then put the card in. So that's what I did. The green arrows inside the car wash turned to a red STOP. This alarmed me, for some reason. This can't be right. So I backed my car out and tried the card again. For a third time it was rejected. Should I just go home and forget the car wash? No. It's filthy. I'll try this one more time. So I drove my car in until I saw the STOP, got out and put my card in the box. Bingo! Then, as I was walking back to my car the garage-like door lowered on the car wash, locking me out, and the car wash began. Standing outside the closed door, surprised, I had to laugh. Duh, was it really just that complicated? Or is it time for me to get back home? So I perched myself on the curb outside the car wash and enjoyed my gas station chocolate milk while waiting for my car to be clean. I noticed a couple of men sitting inside the office next to the gas station. The look on their faces told me they witnessed my confusion and understood that I must not be from around these parts. Once again, I had to laugh.

Well, my car is squeaky clean.

No comments: