Well, dear readers I am finally living the dream. . . living my dream, that is, of living overseas and playing volleyball. I arrived in Frankfurt early yesterday morning and Rudy, one of the managers of my team was there to pick me up. Having met him on my try out we embraced like the old friends that we are and instantly any apprehension I felt about the move dissipated. From that moment until now I've felt completely comfortable and just downright happy to be here. The two Brazilians that I live with, Liv and Paula, already feel like long time friends and we are enjoying each other's company in our moderate-sized German flat.
Many nations are represented on my team. Trying to communicate with each other brings to mind the biblical tower of Babel. Wiesbaden volleyball club represents Poland, Hungary, China (my coach being one of the Chinese), Czech Republic, Serbia, Brazil and, of course, the good ole US of A. Our inability to understand one another at times can be frustrating and comical all at the same time, but I don't think I'd have it any other way. My affinity and love for languages relishes this chance to become semi-multi-lingual.
The thing about this team that makes me the most happy is that we are like family. The numerous people working for the team (most of them retired, older people who held positions of authority or were distinguished in their respective careers. For example, our president Achim Exner is the retired mayor of Wiesbaden. He knows everyone in the city and everyone in the city knows him. I have become quite attached to him already. Rudy, one of our managers is the retired chief of police. He is a big, dark haired man and some refer to him as 'mafioso', even though he is more likely to be a giant teddy bear. Hieke is a retired journalist and she is extremely energetic and a lot of fun to be around. Oh dear, I have a tendency to ramble on in my parenthesis-I should get back to my point) function as a well-oiled machine and it shows that they truly enjoy working together and working for the team.
Enough has been said for now. I plan on heading out to look for a bicycle today.
4 comments:
I am loving your glob, i mean blog already!! I am so glad that you are loving it so much there. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures... and please can you look into getting a bike similar to Ruby (you know, pedal backwards to brake, basket in front, etc). I think it would be perfect for the streets of Germany and Erica Lott. love you.
Yeah!!! It's about time miss Erica Ann. I would like to be the first one to welcome you to the blogging community! You're not going to regret this I promise. And don't worry, we all wish that we could right like Catherine so you're not the only one in that boat ;) She is amazing what can I say...but you are too and I'm excited to keep reading about your adventures.
I can't believe that we are both over here right now...we need to compare schedules and find a place to meet for sure. It'll be like old times again. OK that's enough of my rambling..I LOVE YOU!!!
ps. I hope that your bike search goes better than ours has thus far.
Hi Ric!!! I love that your blogging now. Keep up the good work. And get some pictures of your apartment, team, and town up already!! Miss you. Love you.
Wow, Erica I think that it is really admirable that you are pursuing your dreams! It seems like everything is going well for you and I'm glad to see it. Take care and good luck out there!
Nick Hess
Post a Comment