New Year's Resolutions (ELK, this officially counts as reporting. Multi-tasking. I know, you're surprised):
I don't have a list, per se, but I've been putting in some serious time (mostly at night, when I'm supposed to be sleeping) thinking about what I want to change in my life. One question kept coming to my mind: Do I love myself? Well, I don't hate myself, most of the time. But I don't know if I really love myself all of the time. They say that to love someone else you have to first love yourself. Not true. I love a lot of people and it's a whole heck of a lot easier than loving myself. It's so much easier (for me) to find fault in myself and see all the things that are wrong with me. Those closest to me say that I'm too hard on myself. True. And I'm going to make an effort to ease up this year. So I thought of a some things that I could do that would make it not so hard to love myself. To name a few, I want to be more kind to people. Sometimes I get angry too easily with others-family members, friends, roommates, coaches, teammates, random man driving in front of me who doesn't turn on his blinker and turns from the middle of the street. Also, I am going to graduate from college. Getting a degree from BYU (one I've already devoted five years to) will help me love myself more. I am six credits away and in the middle of an independent study class right now. Once I graduate, even though I have no idea what the heck I'm going to do with my degree, I'll feel that much better about my future. Third, I think I'm going to get a nose job. Now now, I know what most of you will say (Mom, "It's about time!", Dad, "Am I paying for this?") but it's something I've thought about for a very long time and physical appearance plays a big part in loving oneself. And the last solution I thought about was that I want to start doing things that I want to do. Sounds selfish, but let me explain. I want to do things because I think they're important or it's what I think is right, not because all my friends my age are doing it, or because so-and-so will be disappointed or mad if I don't. Still, it sounds selfish and completely wrong. But I am an adult and so far I think I've done pretty good for myself in life. I've made my fair share of mistakes, sure, but I think I'm on the right path and it's because I've stayed close to my Heavenly Father. He is my guide for decision making and always will be. I need to do a better job of putting my will in line with his. I am grateful to God for the lessons I've learned this year, tough as some of them may have been, and I'm thankful for the people in my life who love me and support me for who I am.
Ok, now it's picture time. The family was here for Christmas. Thank you SO MUCH for visiting guys. I love you all and I had so much fun while you were here and I was sad to see you go. We didn't do so well in the picture-taking category but what can I say, I'm a Lott!
4 comments:
I'm so glad you updated, and I fully support your new year's resolutions. Whatever makes you happy will make all the people you love and who love you, happy too. And for everyone else... it really doesn't matter. So glad to hear you had a fun Chinese New Year. You need to teach me how to write Chinese.
I agree. I am glad that your family came to visit. All that really matters is that you do what makes you happy. It is strange when things fall into place when you least expect them too....weird. ps love your dad!
I too agree that you need to do what is going to make you happy.. I totally believe in being rationally selfish. I love that you're family had a great time and I love that you posted that video. I forget how great your family is and how much I love your parents.
I Love you!!!!!
I guess this means that I still need to come up with some New Year Resolutions too huh.. I've never been so good at them.
Oh my gosh, I love your dad so much! I miss your family, and you too! I fully support your decision to love yourself more. I really want to talk...I will be waiting for you to skype tomorrow..be there!
Post a Comment