Sunday, November 16, 2008

Deutschland Deutschland Uber Alles

JOE WAS HERE!! My close friend Joe Wood came all the way from Madrid to visit me last week. We spent five days traipsing all over Europe, eating all the currywurst/waffles/frits/doner kebap/chocolate/pastries/"Persian sweetness"/Haribo gummies we could get our hands on, and purely enjoying each other's company. I had so much fun showing Joe around my city and I'm so grateful that he took time out of his schedule to come and see me. Our travels took us to Brussels, home of the Belgian Waffle and one of the most beautiful town squares i've ever seen (oh, and the capital city of the European Union as well). On the way to Belgium we stopped in Luxembourg, which was also beautiful, and on the way home we stopped in Cologne. Three countries in two days (because we drove through the Netherlands for a short part of our trip)! We were exhausted, but it was all worth it. We were also able to take short day trips to Heidelberg and Mainz, both beautiful cities. In fact, Germany is so great that Joe couldn't stop singing "Deutschland Deutschland uber alles, uber alles in der welt", which is the first line to the German national anthem and it translates to "Germany Germany above everything, above everything in the world". Apparently that's true, according to Joe Wood.

I also have two new American teammates! Jackie Simpson (setter) and Sheila Shaw (middle), formerly Wisconsin Badgers are now part of the VC Weisbaden family and I could not be happier that they are here. Aside from having some serious talent, they just understand me because we speak the same language. . . literally. Jackie is living with me and Liv since Paula moved out.

Me with my new friends and teammates in Luxembourg.
I would LOVE to live in one of these houses on the cliff.
Luxembourg real estate.
Bruxelles city square at dusk. The strings in the picture are the Christmas lights they've set up for the Christmas Market. Germany knows how to do Christmas right. Each city has a big market complete with lights, food, hot chocolate and all sorts of treat that start on November 24th and go through til Christmas Eve.
I absolutely loved this plaza.
Here it is during the daylight hours. And above the red tent is where Joe will be living very soon, according to him. "I NEED that flat to entertain guests".
Just your average, quaint German side street.
An amazing cookie shop I stumbled upon. Not only were the treats delicious, but the packaging was beautiful and the woman that owned the shop was utterly delightful.
The Royal Palace in Bruxelles.
The Shrine of the Magi in the Koln Dom. I didn't get so see this last time I was there so i'm glad I did this time.
Still beautiful even the second time around.

The Heidelberg Castle in the hills. The pictures don't do it justice. . . it was really pretty.
View of the city from the castle.

Inside the castle grounds.


The cathedral in Mainz.
SORRY JOE! I know you hate this picture, but sadly it's the only one we took all week with both you and I in it. We both have weird smiles, if that makes you feel any better. Thanks for visiting me! You're better than Obama!

8 comments:

Catherine Parker said...

How fun! Haha, your smile is kinda funny in that picture, but you still look gorgeous. Hitler would be proud of yours and Joe's bright blue eyes.

Anonymous said...

I'm still envious about your jaunt through Luxembourg...and I heard the Belgians were kinda rude but those pictures make me think I'd let it slide. So jealous....

Erica Crismon said...

AH HA HA HA! Catherine! Did you really just say that on the world wide web? I love you for it.

Lexi Patterson said...

Wow, what amazing travels. I envy you. I love all of your expeditions across Europe. And it was so good to see Joe. I haven't seen that face in ages! I'm so glad he was able to come visit you. It seems like you are really taking advantage of living in Europe and really enjoying yourself. I miss and love you Ric. I'm so excited for the Holidays too. What are your plans for Christmas break?

Lindsy Hartsock said...

How fun!! The sights look AMAZING. I'm so glad you are getting that experience!

Lauren said...

Yay for good friends who come to visit you!!! I can't believe how beautiful those places are!!! Holy crap E! Promise to take me there someday? Look at us living in Europe...we're doin it babe and I couldn't be more proud of you. Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. I think our Christmas Markt opened today!! Rex and I are heading down to check it out and I can't wait. I just love this season!!! almost as much as I love you.

Trent and Kim said...

Ha ha Parker. Brings me back to our Jewish class. Oh my goodness, those pictures are beautiful. I am definitely jealous. That cookie shop would have been serious trouble for me. It seems cookies are my biggest weakness lately. I love that picture of you and Joe, definitely awkward smiles, but you guys still look great. I miss you a lot. Germany has got to be so amazing at Christmas.

pfms said...

I'm impressed, an American girl is interested in German history. If you want to know more about the golden shrine in Cologne or the first line of the national anthem, I am happy to share it.